Every food and every beverage that you put into your mouth affects your body. However, it is important to note that your diet affects more than just your weight. Because all of your food and beverages choices enter through your mouth, your oral health is dependent on your dietary choices. Knowing the best components of a healthy diet will help you achieve and maintain a healthy smile for life.
- Hydration is vital. Approximately 60 percent of the body is made up of water, making water the most necessary component of life. If you are not consuming enough water, your entire body is vulnerable to illness and disease. This does not exclude your oral health. Gum disease and dry mouth are directly related to inadequate hydration, leading to other serious dental health issues like tooth decay and tooth loss. The Mayo Clinic recommends that everyone drink 2-3 liters of water every day.
- Eat a balanced diet. A balanced diet is one that contains a great deal of variety. Limiting your diet to only certain types of foods severely limits the number of vitamins and minerals that your body needs. A healthy diet consists of whole foods and limited sugar. Sugar is a direct contributor to cavities, gingivitis, tooth decay, and tooth loss – as well as diabetes and cancer.
- Eat in moderation. The body is one entire coordinated machine. Eating too little leads to malnutrition, while eating too much leads to obesity. Both of these directly impact the amount and type of bacteria inside the mouth. Oral bacteria are harmful, acid-producing microorganisms that are the cause of almost all oral health concerns.
- Give up soft drinks. Soft drinks provide absolutely no dietary benefits, yet they are full of harmful ingredients. Soft drinks are full of sugars, artificial ingredients, and acids – all of which lead to dehydration, calcium deficiency, and tooth decay. Make water your beverage of choice at all times.
- Replace processed foods with real foods. Processed foods may be convenient, but they contain many ingredients, additives, and preservatives that are unnatural to the human body. While it is almost impossible for Americans to give up all processed foods, choose as many whole fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts as possible for a healthy diet that the body needs.
Group Health Dental encourages you to choose a healthy diet for a healthy smile. Contact us today to learn more.
230 W 41st St, Second Floor
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 398-9690