When speaking of cosmetic dentistry, perhaps the first thought that comes to mind is correcting a feature of a smile that one doesn’t like. Whether an individual has discolored teeth, a tooth that’s chipped or a smile that’s crooked, these concerns can be a thing of the past with a cosmetic dental procedure. Even so, the arena of cosmetic dentistry has expanded significantly in recent years, making it easier to obtain the dream smile that one wants, while optimizing oral health for the future. As such, cosmetic dentistry is about more than a great smile.
Very Well Health offers a unique perspective on cosmetic dentistry by relating non-dental factors that compose one’s smile. First, the teeth and smile make up approximately one-third of an individual’s face, meaning that other features influence the appearance of a smile. These include:
- Facial Height – As an example, consider an individual with a long face. Typically, a person with a long face will have a narrow jaw and a narrow upper arch or palate, with limited space for upper teeth.
- Facial Width – The width of one’s cheekbones (upper jawbone) is the part of the face that frames a smile. Thus, individuals with a narrow face can create a more balanced smile by wearing a palatal expander.
- Lip Size, Volume and Smile Line – When determining how much or how little teeth that one would like to show when smiling, lip volume must be considered.
- Age – Always a factor, age has a way of changing the face, in more ways than one. As such, more of the bottom teeth may begin to show, and the overall height of one’s face may shorten. This should be a consideration when discussing cosmetic dental treatments.
- Skin and Lip Color – Because skin color and lip color impact the appearance of one’s smile, it’s wise to consider these characteristics prior to cosmetic treatments.
- Missing Teeth – If a tooth is missing, it can have a significant impact on an individual’s arch, which could affect which cosmetic treatment is most suitable.
Experienced Cosmetic Dentists in Manhattan
At Group Health Dental, our experienced cosmetic dentists take advantage of the latest advancements in cosmetic dentistry to deliver results that not only enhance a patient’s smile, but their overall facial appearance. For a rewarding experience in cosmetic dentistry, call Group Health Dental in Manhattan today.