Everyone everywhere, regardless of social status, ethnicity, or background – everyone receives just one set of permanent teeth. This is why the loss of a permanent tooth is one of the most dreaded occurrences. Tooth extraction involves the removal of a tooth from its socket in the jawbone. Your dentist will never make the choice for tooth extraction without necessary causes. If a tooth has become unhealthy or so damaged that it is beneficial to your oral health to live without it, a tooth extraction is necessary.
There are common causes for tooth extractions, and not all of them are negative.
- Severe tooth decay or infection that is compromising the health of other teeth
- Severe damage or decay that is too extensive (and expensive) to repair
- Advanced gum disease
- A tooth will sometimes hinder another tooth from erupting into the mouth, making it necessary to extract one in order to make room for another
- During orthodontic treatment, it will sometimes be advised to extract a tooth (baby tooth or permanent tooth) in order to achieve the desired results for your smile
- Wisdom teeth are commonly extracted because of the extensive damage they can cause to your permanent teeth. Wisdom teeth that are impacted or come in at a bad angle can push against your permanent teeth and cause them to shift out of place.
While it is ideal for everyone to make it through life with a healthy set of permanent teeth, this is not always the scenario for everyone. If you need a tooth extraction here in the Manhattan area, you can put your full confidence in Group Health Dental. Our practice is made up of exceptionally talented and certified dentists who put your oral health as their number one priority. Any type of infection, disease, or decay can easily spread throughout your mouth and cause a whole host of issues. If the health of a tooth is beyond repair, it is necessary that it be extracted in order to benefit the health of your entire mouth.
At Group Health Dental, we go out of our way to ensure patient comfort during all procedures. Our entire staff wants to make your dental experience a positive one. Contact our practice today to schedule an appointment for comprehensive and exceptional care.